Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Curses! Foiled Again!


Rain, rain, great big pain.


Sherwood Best Western, Clarksville, Arkansas.  3/2/2014:  I really thought I'd ducked the storm.  I went south to get under it, spending last night in Nashville.  But it found me.

When I started west from Nashville this morning, it was 43 degrees. Then, in a few minutes, the rain started and pretty soon, it was 32  (see temp gauge, lower right speedometer).
But I persevered..or plowed on, as the case may be.  

               -0-

It's interesting what you notice while driving through a flood.

I passed Grinder's Switch, Bucksnort, Mousetail Landing and Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch.  All of that, just west of Nashville.

I wondered as I crossed the Mississippi: why does Arkansas call itself the Natural State?  If it were natural, it would spell itself Arkansaw.  I didn't see anyone running around in the buff, so that can't be what it means.  The roadsides and the fields and lawns look reasonably tidy, so they haven't gone back to nature.  Bill Clinton's from Arkansas...naw, that's not it.

But I had plenty of time to think..even paused in a covey of long-haul big wheels while police cleaned up a mess somewhere up there where I couldn't see.

              -0-

Anyway, I'm dug in.  They say it's snowing up ahead in Oklahoma.  I know this is no big whoop to those who live in the battered northeast, but I thought I'd let you know the storm stretches from you clear to Texas.  I can see it.  I don't have any idea where I'll be at this time on Monday.  

Maybe right here.

Oh, well..there's a Pizza Hut up the street and a Mexican place just outside my door.  

Hibernation is good. Right?

Riiiiight.

                                         ###

3/2/2014


No comments:

Post a Comment