Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Lunch at the Hick

Hick Pick


Tulsa, Oklahoma.  End of the day, 7/8/2014:  In terms of the picture above:  If it's lunch time on the second day of any trip toward Santa Fe or Albuquerque, I know I'm in Cuba, Missouri, at a table at the Missouri Hick Barbecue.  That lovely platter contains pulled pork slathered with the Hick's famous hot sauce, sandwiched in Texas Toast with a side of chips and creamy cole slaw.  It don't git no better'n that, Pardner.  It's funny how lunchtime always arrives just as I get to Exit 210 on I-44 West, but I am not going to argue with fate.  I recommend you do the same.

   Oh..seen on the back of a tee-shirt at the Hick:  a picture of the south end of a pig headed north.  The caption above it--"Every butt needs a good rub."  The Hick's rubs are the very best.  What did you think it meant?  Tsk..


   I really didn't know what to expect when I set out this morning.  Yesterday's rip-snorting rain and wind made me think we might see some flooding, but the day was bright and cheery as I hit the road from Terre Haute, Indiana around 8AM, eastern.  I was past St. Louis about 3 and a half hours later, headed for the Hick.  Of course, I had company..and they were in a hurry as usual (see rear view mirror):


    Tailgaters are everywhere..even at 70 miles an hour.  

                                                     -0-

    Tomorrow, I'll stop off to pay my respects to the National Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City and then finish the day, I hope, in Tucumcari, NM along old Route 66. That'll set me up for the last dash in to Santa Fe first thing Thursday morning.  You gotta have a plan..and that's mine.

    Meanwhile, in case you need visual reference for your first (or next) visit to the Missouri Hick..it looks like this:


   Just what you expected.

   Seeya down that long, winding road..

                                                  ###


7/8/2014




   

No comments:

Post a Comment